CURRENT REGULATORY STATUS:
OSHA 8-hour TWA 100ppm - 15 min. STEL 150ppm
Monitoring of Xylene in the laboratory, tissue processor, and storage areas includes the following:
NOTE: All samples are taken using OSHA approved solid adsorbent sample media and analyzed at AIHA (American Industrial Hygiene Association) certified laboratories.
- 8-hour TWA (Time Weighted Average) testing to establish employee exposure levels to the target contaminant.
- 15-minute STEL (Short Term Excursion Limit) testing to establish peek exposure levels for effected employees.
- Detailed observations of employee work practices with comparison against reasonable standard practices.
- Written recommendations based on on-site observations to help assure clinic compliance with Federal standards.
- Assistance in the design and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures to prevent employee exposures.
- Assistance in the development of emergency response protocols and a written emergency response plan to help handle a spill or equipment malfunction.
- Comparison of test data with Federal standards.
- Recommendations and suggestions for correction of any detected problems.
- Calculation of air conditioning turnover in work rooms where significant.
- Consultation with designated personnel concerning the results of the survey.
- Complete documentation including schematics where needed, exceeding the requirements of JCAHO, NIOSH/OSHA, EPA, AHA, etc.
- All records are maintained for a period of 20 years per NIOSH/OSHA requirements.